The Essendon District Football League commenced operations in 1930 with eight teams and was affiliated to Victorian Football Union (until 1980) then known as Victoria Metropolitan Football League. (VMFL)
The eight founding EDFL clubs were:
St Johns, Kensington Methodist, Woodlands, Northern Juniors, Essendon High School Old Boys, Flemington and Kensington, Ascot Vale and West Essendon (with West Essendon that year, was a young man Dick Reynolds).
The first premiership was won by St Johns in 1930.
The league administration was based at Windy Hill and was administered by a group of devoted volunteers from various backgrounds: W Royal President 1930, E.J Mitchell Administrator and K McKerrell Treasurer.
In 1937 the league was re-constituted and now comprised of 18 teams, open age and under age.
During the war between 1942 – 1945 the league was put into recess.